Organization is important! – Why??? It saves time, money, & effort. The key to organization is a good record-keeping system. If you need some motivation to get you started, here are just a few benefits:
- Easier to find important information (How many times have you stressed frantically looking for that ever-important document at the last minute?!)
- Provides security
- Provides proof of transactions (But I already paid that bill! If you can’t prove it – it didn’t happen!)
- Helps in handling emergencies
- Makes it easier for others (If you pass away – where will your loved ones go to find important and needed documents?)
Here’s a few tips to help you maintain your system and make it easier:
- Start simple
- File documents regularly
- Only file what you need
- Label/color code it
- Make it convenient
- Go digital
- If you’re wondering what and when to shred documents, the Federal Trade Commission has a few guidelines.
- Keep a RED file (disaster preparedness documents) in a fire-proof case that you can grab-and-go in an emergency
It’s A Security Thing!
- Lock the cabinet
- Don’t leave things floating around
- Consider mail safety – electronic vs. postal
- Shred what you don’t need – To help with this, the CRIMESTOPPERS ANNUAL SHRED EVENT is this weekend in Sioux Falls
Annual Shred Event: Saturday, April 21, 2018 9am-1pm
57th and Louise in the Minnwest Bank parking lot.
6th and Sycamore at Washington High School.
13th and Main downtown in the Pavilion Parking Lot/Ramp
* There is a suggested donation of $5.00 a box.
Want to learn more about organizing your paper piles to organized files? Or learn more about what to maintain in your disaster preparedness RED file? Call LSS Center for Financial Resources at 605-330-2700, 888-258-2227 or schedule an appointment online. Sessions may be completed in-person, by phone or online.
written by Sara Ramirez