This January, LSS Mentoring Services is asking area residents to “Be Someone Who Matters to Someone Who Matters.” As we celebrate National Mentoring Month, we have some fun and exciting things planned!
- Mayoral Proclamation. Mayor Mike Huether will proclaim January as Mentoring Month in Sioux Falls. A proclamation will be read at the January 6 City Council meeting at 7 PM.
- Recruitment Rally. On January 15, we are hoping to get as many new mentors as possible! We have set a goal of 24 new mentors in 24 hours on January 15. Watch our Facebook page for updates on our progress.
- Try-It Events. Have you thought about mentoring but just wanted to check it out before committing? You will have your chance this month! LSS invites adults who are not current mentors to join us at one of four Try-It events. At the event, you will meet a student who wants or needs a mentor. Events are scheduled for Monday, January 19 at Horace Mann; Tuesday, January 20 at Hayward; Thursday, January 22 at RF Pettigrew and Tuesday, January 27 at Robert Frost. Please contact us if you are interested in attending!
- Prizes! If you are paying attention to our Facebook page, you will have several chances to win prizes in January! We will also post names of mentors and let you know the number of mentors needed at each of the 60+ schools that we partner with to provide quality mentoring services.
MOST IMPORTANTLY, we need to get 100 kids off the waiting list and connected to a mentor this January. If you are looking for some reasons why, here are three:
- No child should walk alone. Young people participating in LSS Mentoring Programs are more likely to do better in school and have aspirations for college and career; they’re more equipped to make responsible decisions and model good behavior; and they’re more likely to be productive and engaged citizens – all key factors in building stronger community.
- We can’t afford to leave mentoring to chance. There are over 300 local students waiting for a mentor. Let’s make sure to give them a caring, consistent mentor.
You. Being a mentor gives you a chance to give back in a meaningful way and can help you gain a deeper understanding of different cultures, different generations and even of our community.
Happy New Year and Happy National Mentoring Month!