I’m not the Wicked Witch but I do feel like I am melting in this humidity and heat. I promised I wouldn’t whine about being hot if the winter ever ended but I changed my mind. Are you sick of the heat too? Read on for a few tips to keep you and your kids happy in the summer sun.
- Check out our Pinterest board for a detailed list of ideas.
- Drink something cool. Throw some frozen fruit in a blender for a smoothie or make a pitcher of lemonade. You can turn some juice into popsicles as well.
- Get wet! Go for a swim, run through the sprinkler, toss around some water balloons or just take a cool shower.
- Curl up with a good book. When outside isn’t fun anymore, switch to something involving air conditioning. My favorite indoor activity is reading of course. Games, crafts and movies would do the trick too.
- Enjoy the evening. Wait until the sun goes down to enjoy time outdoors. Invest in some affordable flashlights and glow sticks or let the fireflies light the night. Click here for some game ideas to get you started.
- Make some homemade ice cream. The process of making it will cool you off as much as eating it. In a small zip-closed plastic bag combine 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1.5 Tablespoons sugar. You can add little pieces of fruit or other flavors as well. Put that bag inside a gallon size zip-close bag and add 6 Tablespoons of salt (rock salt works well) and fill it to the top with ice. Zip it up and shake it, roll it, toss it back and forth. It usually takes about 10 minutes for it to get thick but if you can’t wait you can drink it like a milk shake.
- Get artistic. You can paint with ice cubes to create some gorgeous creations. Freeze 5-10 drops of food coloring with 1/4 cup water in ice trays to create paint cubes that glide along the paper.
Have a great summer! I’m off to find a pool or smoothie. -Heather DeWit, Director of Childcare and Education Services