Each year, LSS Mentoring Services sends out a survey to all 1,000+ mentors. And every year, the results are amazing. This year did not disappoint. Our volunteers tell us that they love this program and what they are doing to make a difference in our community.
Here are some of the things our mentors told us this year ….
- Over 99% enjoy mentoring.
- More than 95% made a connection to their student this year.
- The top risk factor in the students life is being in a single-parent household. Academic struggles are a close second, followed by poverty and behavior challenges.
- Mentors can see positive changes in their student. Over 30% felt that their student had improved grades, nearly 50% of mentors felt that their student seemed to care more about school after meeting with them, and 80% saw a significant increase in their student sharing more information. In addition, 65% witnessed a positive change in behavior, 55% felt their student was more conscientious and 63% of mentors saw an improved attitude in their students.
- Our mentors are a well educated group, with 43% being college grads and an additional 23% have taken post-graduate courses or hold a graduate degree.
- Mentors are also very loyal to their employers. Almost 40% of LSS Mentors have been with their current employer for more than 10 years, and 25% have been with the same organization at least five years.
The top statistic that got me was that 100% of mentors agreed that mentoring has impacted their life. They followed that question up with comments like, “in short, mentoring has changed my perspective on life through the eyes of my mentee.” And “mentoring has made me more patient and understanding of others,” and numerous noted, “I have gained way more than I have given.”
If you are not a mentor, please strongly consider completing an application! We need at least 100 more mentors as we get ready for the upcoming school year. Please contact us if you have any questions.