You may find yourself with more bills to pay than pay coming in.
So, what do you do? What’s your next step?
In the wake of the most recent government shutdown, we thought we’d answer this situation with a little advice on how to prioritize who to pay first:
- Mortgage or rent payment (you want to make sure you have a roof over your head)
- Utilities (running water, electricity, heat – all important components of that shelter)
- Food (again, think basics here – if you’re struggling to afford shelter, utilities, and food, there are places that can help)
- Healthcare costs (medications, copays – items you need to stay well and ensure you can be productive at work. For patient assistance programs, check out NeedyMeds)
- Insurance (there’s nothing worse than not being able to pay your bills only to get more bills because you’re without insurance. Review your policies carefully)
- Vehicle payments (if possible, try to maintain payments on loans you have outstanding – when things get better, having good credit may come in handy)