As National Foster Care month comes to a close this is an additional opportunity to encourage you to consider opening your home and heart to a child in need of a safe, nurturing home. Our LSS Foster families have shared that they felt called to do foster care for several reasons. These include:
- They felt that God had blessed them with opportunities and gifts that they wanted to share with children.
- They had a special place in their hearts for all children and understood what kids need to overcome obstacles and to grow and develop.
- They were going to become empty nesters and felt they weren’t ready to have a child-free home!
- They grew up as a foster family and it was such a big part of their life that they choose to become foster parents.
- They had a desire to expand their family though foster care or foster care to adoption.
- They just wanted to make a difference in a child’s life and foster care seemed like the best way to do that.
These are great reasons to consider becoming a foster family but it also takes support from a team to nurture and empower a foster family! The LSS Foster Care program and staff doprovide the support, the education and the tools foster parents need to grow and gain the skills they need to help our kids. We feel blessed that we are able to work with our foster families in our shared ministry to make a difference in a child’s life.
If you see yourself in this list of reasons and you feel you may have a call to be a foster family check out our website, send an email or make a call to find out more information! LSS has Foster Care Programs in the Rapid City and Sioux Falls areas as well as a shared effort with the Department of Corrections to recruit and train families in Northeastern South Dakota. http://www.lsssd.org/family_services/foster_care/
Submitted by Dede Mogck, Director of Adoption and Foster Care