Summer is coming! Are you ready?? Students and parents alike are counting down the days until their family vacation. Whether you are traveling by car to a destination nearby or by plane across the world, it’s important to plan a vacation your family can afford.
Here are some tips to make the most of your vacation dollars:
- Research! Look online, in newspapers, and travel magazines for deals on airfare, activities, and meals at your destination of choice.
- If driving, make sure your car is in tip-top shape before hitting the road. You’ll get better gas mileage and hopefully avoid a costly breakdown.
- Skip popular summer tourist destinations. Prices increase during popular travel months, so consider off-the-beaten-path locations. Ask locals for recommendations.
- Give children a vacation allowance to spend on shopping, snacks, and souvenirs. Kids will quickly learn how to budget their money!
- Pack your own food, drinks, and snacks. Homemade sandwiches keep well in a cooler for a long drive and you can get a 24 pack of water at the grocery store for the same price of 1 bottle at popular tourist attractions.
- If you’re flying, consider spending a little extra for a hotel room with a mini-fridge. Make a trip to the local store and stock up on essentials for the week rather than dining out for every meal.
- Share or skip dessert and order water with your meal. A family of four can save upwards of $10 per meal by sticking to water.
- If using a credit card, do not spend more than you can easily pay back in 3 months. You don’t want to still be paying for summer vacation during the holidays!
- Consider a “stay-cation.” Stay home, turn off the electronics, and relax. Explore your own city and local area attractions!
What tips to you have? Post a reply below to share your ideas with us!
Together we can make a difference. Make a financial gift to LSS today.
And to get need help with your vacation spending plan, give Lutheran Social Services Consumer Credit Counseling Service a call at 888-258-2227 or e-mail cccs@LssSD.org.